Wednesday, February 23, 2005

Ring Tone

You know, we really are pretty damn stupid aren't we?
I point you in the direction of the ring tone for your cell phone. Mind you, I could point you in the direction of a clothing label, brand of car, or pretty much any other consumer product.
In cubicle hell I'm listening to someone's cell phone ring repeatedly, it is such a joy. And it has the sound like a slot machine makes. Now, ok, it's a pretty convincing approximation of a slot machine. Fancy. But, what makes you decide to download a tone, or choose a tone for your phone? Which ring tone defines me as a person? I don't mean to go off on the slot machine sound, but I can't help but have all these images of this person being the sort that chases the dream of the easy life that could maybe be found on that one lucky hit on the slot machine. Hey, I'd like an easy life, too. I'm not being critical of that. Just the hopelessness of the whole thing. And the sound of the cell phone to serve as your nice little reminder of it. Maybe it does define him.
Maybe I can find a product that identifies me as a man. Maybe. I just have never felt that all that compelled to wear a shirt that has the logo of a company on it. I guess there are exceptions, like wearing a Butthole Surfers shirt or something like that. But, does having sporting goods labels displayed prominently on my body make me a better person? A more accepted person? A more hip person? I don't know. Maybe it would. But, I still can't figure out which ring tone defines me as a person?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home